Sunday, December 25, 2011

Plant: Feijoa or pineapple guava.....

Feijoa or pine apple guava (Acca sellowiana), this is how this delicious fruit from Myrtaceae family goes by. I discovered this fruits-laden shrubs near the the local airport boundaries. A man collecting the fruits there, introduced us to the exotic tropical fruit. This fruit is very popular in New Zealand, grown in backyard of almost every house, as he informed us. I picked a pocketful of the ripe, fallen fruits myself. 


It was real bliss to relish the aromatic sweetness as you go scooping out the pulps, popping into your mouth.


The hard shells  are discarded.

These shells have high amount of essential oils, characteristic of Myrtaceae family....Ignorant of which I ate these shells...I still remember the extreme stomach pain that lasted for hours...though, I have not read anywhere, these tough shells can cause intestinal bezoar too...
Ditch the peels...

The other day, someone informed me about the edibility of the fleshy, white petals ....
Though initially dubious, I decided to give it a go. There were several trees in my neighborhood in the peak of their spring bloom. I plucked a few petals, which felt sticky and soft on the hand. As I popped them in the mouth, and savored, it was incredibly sweet and delicious. I could not help munch on some more petals. I absolutely loved the taste and am ready to relish more, if opportunity comes. I suggest you to try too...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!