Sunday, November 1, 2015

Health: Dengue....beware of the killer disease!...

Death is a bitter truth....perishing when aged and debilitated, is rational....but, when it occurs prematurely? Out of the blue? There are myriad ways death can claim a life...as a biomedical researcher, diseases as morbidity and mortality agents strikes me the most.

I was reading on dengue (the mosquito-borne viral disease) pathology...a vicious disease gripping many parts of tropical and subtropical countries...In India, it has emerged as a major killer...

One of my dearest cousin brother succumbed to it at the prime age of 25!! What a tragic moment it was for us! The unfortunate incident still haunts...graduated from an Army school, he had a Master's in Computer application and had joined his first job just month's back, in North India...little did anybody knew, what was in store!
I had talked to  him just a day back....he had high fever, yet he was sharing the happy news of his promotion....
I heard, on the way to the hospital, he went into delirium and passed away!!

In my native region (Eastern part of India), malaria is commonplace, but dengue is yet a new disease...
And even today, 5-6 years later after that incident, therapy is lacking.
As I am reading latest research papers on 'dengue', learnt this is a Swahili word (Ka-dinga pepo) for cramp-like seizure...

The sudden death and hemorrhage, as witnessed in my loving brother's case indicates neural seizure...

Applying my microbiology and bioinformatics knowledge, I will investigate more into the disease and contribute, though esteemed researchers across the globe are diligently working to make the world a dengue-free better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!