Friday, January 17, 2014

Fauna: Urban wildlife viewing in San Diego.....

Living at the center of a bustling neighborhood in San Diego does not provide much opportunity to view wildlife...yet, I go for walks with determination to spot a t least a handful of them..
Amble by the banks of San Diego river,  Mission San Diego campus, even our apartment offer with myriad scopes...

BIRDS...
An oriole on a tree tobacco plant....

This Anna's humming lingered on the pomegranate twig long enough to grant me ample shots...

This great blue heron sunning itself was a surprise spotting...If only I could have gone closer...

This red-shouldered hawk comes regularly to the sycamore grove near our San Diego house, sits and suns itself for hours, giving me  numerous opportunities to hone my photography skill ...

A warbler...

Finch....

A munia with a strand of grass possibly to decorate its nest...

Saw this song sparrow on a willow....

BUGS....
This monarch on a lantana umbel...

The bee was busy gathering pollen from the aeonium flowers...

ANIMALS....
The falling pine cone flakes from the tree made me look up and discover this guy..

I never thought racoons can be living in the middle of San Diego city, in a patch of land crisscrossed by freeways....the other day, as I went to dump trash, these bandit guys approached me fearlessly......

I was delighted to see a never-seen-before animal...but, knowing that they carry plague pathogen is quite scary!!


Then I spotted this skunk from my bedroom window as it was foraging on the front lawn...

MOLLUSC...
Finally, this slug munching away the mushroom reminded me of "Alice in Wonderland" story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!