Thursday, November 3, 2016

Passion: Gardening cardinal climber vine.......

Cardinal climber vine (Ipomoea sp.)...a morning glory relative.......ever since my school days, I loved this vine..
(As I don't have my bloom yet, its a picture from the web)..

The lacy leaves and tiny star-like crimson blooms....
I knoe hummingbirds love iot...and my current place is populated with these birds...
My current garden plants consist of many flowers...but, not any nectar-oozing, bird-friendly kind...
So, I ordered the cardinal climber vine from Amazon........
Soaked the seeds overnight and sowed.........
Some of the seeds looked strange after the soaking.....hope, they will all germinate..
----------
After a week, all the seeds germinated.......it was exciting to see the brownish green leaves..
----------
In 2-3 weeks, the saplings look like this...

Some larvae have been eating away the leaves...so, tough to save them...I will any way..
Soon I will guide them up the trellis...
------
One and half month later...


Yeah...flower buds have developed...
-----------
Here, they start showing the pink....Can't wait to see the tiny star-like blooms...

-----------
It bloomed!
Just look at the beauty...like a gorgeous little morning glory..

----
They bloomed for about 2-3 weeks..as summer transitioned into autumn...



The seeds worth $4-5 has certainly given me priceless joys...

As temperature dropped, they have slowed down the blooming frenzy.....the capsule type fruits are appearing...which is likely to dry in a month..then I will harvest the seeds for next year..
----
Harvested the pods...

and saved the black seeds for next sowing...

#It was great learning experience ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!