Sunday, September 11, 2016

Passion: Edible gardening from grocery articles....

My spouse is one of those persons who like good food, but do not like to get soiled by gardening. I like both, more the latter. Anyway, after spending almost a $1000 in a year on my tiny balcony/patio garden, he firmly refused to spend a dollar more, leaving me in rage. I do have my credit card but not a vehicle. So, I depend on him or hauling plants, planters, soil bags etc. That's when I thought and found an alternative, equally satisfying. From the grocery and pantry,  I identified materials like seeds, bulbs, tubers, stalks, that can be planted....after all, I want a green, thriving  corner in the house...if its gives fragrance, visual appeal and edibility, there is nothing to complain!

Mint...
When we bought mint from Farmers market, I planed some of the healthy stalks. Most of them died, but a few survived. I don't understand how people say that mint is invasive. Here, I have failed many attempts to make them live.

This happens to be my 4th attempt :)...This time not is direct sun and controlled watering....

Purslane....
Just like mint, the stout stalks of purslane went to the herb pot. I am happy that all of they survived. Non-fastidious plant!

Yellow pea....
from our lentil stock in the pantry, I soaked 20-26 seeds for about 12h. Then planted the seeds. Yet to see if any of them germinates. It will be exciting to see the seedlings.
They germinated very fast and now the seedlings are 1-2 inch long. I will put stakes in few days to train the vines...



Rosemary...
I  plucked a few rosemary sprigs from a local park, where  the herb is landscaped as a hedge. It is to see if they survive.

Well, most of the time, the directly planted twigs die...so, i have put some of the cuttings in water to root...

Also, I have planted the potted rosemary I bought from  Sprout's farmer's market..

Pineapple..
I am not sure if the pineapple top planted a few week back is still holding on or got rotten.

Malabar spinach...
its nutrition-loaded and grows as pretty vines..I got this vine vegetable from an Indian grocery store........

Have planted about a dozen stalks....its to see if they thrive...

Also, some surprising joys....the seeds from my previous Malabar spinachs  have germinated..

Potato..
Some sprouting potato chunks were planted in the pot..
Within weeks they have become a feet tall..



I am hoping to harvest tubers in 2-3 months..
So far my herb growing insights....
 *Soak the seeds to facilitate germination.
 *Bury under soil, rather then sprinkling on top.
 *Plant in multiple pots to increase the chance of survival (at least a few are likely to survive).
It is immensely satisfying to see the pots with herbs in various stages of growth.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!