Monday, May 21, 2012

Knowledge: Earthquake-prone California.........

I was trying to take a siesta and a familiar jolt woke me up. I suspected it's an earthquake again. Must be of low intensity, yet epicenter somewhere nearby. Checked the website and the 2.4 magnitude quake had origin in our neighbor city Irvine, just few miles away from Costa Mesa. In the last few months it was my third brush with the rattles. Curiosity stoked me to look at the earthquake profile in the past week. Data showed more than 25 mild quakes striking California. Well, as long as no casualty is reported, it's okay to be rocked for a while now and then.
But, this state has faced devastating quakes in the past....I have witnessed some of the effects...

Like the 1812 Wrightwood quake, in which San Juan Capistrano church was destroyed...


The small town Lon Pine near Owens Valley, Sierra foothills suffered a catastrophe in 1872....


1933 Long Beach earthquake.........

I have noticed that many of the small quakes originate in the Borrego desert area in San Diego county.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!