Saturday, October 22, 2016

Health: Noise pollution...a grave assault to sense...

 I hate any kind of pollution..........everybody does....everybody should...
We are not evolved to be comfortable or healthy with pollutions......be it air, water, light or noise...
Unfortunately, with  human abhorrence for manual work and advancement of  technology, comes these heavy costs of pollutions............
I have been victim of air pollution, light pollution, noise pollution.....i am sure water pollution too..especially if you are in fire-prone California or any pesticide-runoff regions or industrial effluent zones.......so, basically all of we are affected with these evils called pollutants.........

I am from a developing country (India)...so when arrived to the USA five years back, many things were new to me...
The noisy leaf blower that gardeners use early in the morning and disrupt your serenity is one of such device.
I was in University of California Irvine (UCI) campus Aldrich garden, waiting for a Professor...
I was chasing a bluebird and marveling at the beautiful coral trees, this guy started blowing the litter.......I was annoyed, as anybody who appreciates silence would have...

In San Diego, where we lived for three years, the gardener wielding the leaf blower and lawn mower would irk us to the extend of slamming the glass doors in frantic pace....to block some of the invasive noise........

And now in this Irvine house, where they generally respect human quality of life, the leaf blower is still a nuisance........


As I am at my study table, trying to understand the complexity of some pathogen and disease connections (am a microbiologist), the intense noise upsets my thoughts........doors and windows are closed...yet..
I turn on the music to annual the noise...yet...
I have no other option but to plug my ears with my fingers...

As I googled, learnt that these gasoline-powered device not only emits toxic gases as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons, particulate matter...generates allergenic dust clouds...but produces noise, strong enough to cause hearing loss.........
No wonder, some posh regions of  California have banned these mechanical monsters.....
I feel like cursing the inventor.......sometimes, in fact always, health deserves priority over spic and span looks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!