Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Plant: Mexican marigold.......

I saw this bush covered with golden yellow flowers in the corner of a hedgerow in front of a building. Even though lurked behind the shrubbery, the vibrant flowers were conspicuous enough to draw me towards them. The cheerful yellow beauty was not to be forgotten. As I investigated the Google, learned that its Mexican marigold (Tagetes lucida). Further, it came to my knowledge that this plant is an ethnobotanical treasure in Mexico and Central America. The dried leaves are used as soup flavouring agents and brewed as herbal tea. Yellow dye is extracted and antimicrobial concoction in formulated from the flowers. Also, insect repellent is prepared by burning the plant.

Since then, I have stumbled upon pretty beds of these flowers.....


Brilliant enough to light up the area.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!