Friday, March 2, 2012

Fauna: Lady beetles..........

I had heard volumes about the iconic Coleoptera arthropod, the Asian lady beetle (Harmonia axyridis). However, I had never laid my eyes on this......
Yesterday, as I was studying the tall Agave floral spike, by serendipity I spotted it on an agave bloom head. The split pigeon pea sized and dome shaped red body marked with black spots was interesting. Excited with the new spotting, I stared taking pictures. Perhaps, startled by the flashes, it crawled with its tiny legs and vanished into the floral buds.


Since then, see the pretty bugs many a times......
On peach blossoms...... 

On jacaranda blossoms...

And did I say, some time back on my way to the laboratory, one lady beetle hitched hike on my backpack...got to show my colleagues, before it flied into the roof bulbs...

And this spotless guy was spotted near a gas station during our road trip.......


A couple...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!