Tuesday, April 3, 2012

People: Who left an impression with their random act of kindness or articulate nature...

For me, it matters a lot to be recognized and shown interest in, especially  in another country. So, when I stumble upon people from diverse strata and calling, who have time to spare for me, it cheers up me, I feel welcome in their country. Some of such strangers who I met in the path of life....

My very first acquaintance in Costa Mesa was Michelle, the middle-aged, soft-spoken, sullen-looking lady. I saw her feeding bowl after bowl of grains to the waterfowls and pigeons in Tewinkle Park. I thought, the person who has such unconditional compassion for the birds, must be above the run-of-the-mill-kind people. I initiated talking to her and she responded nicely. Even she handed me another bowl of grain to feel the joy of feeding the innocuous critters. As I  fed the swarms of ducks and pigeons, she took my photographs, of course at my request. We strolled under the shady fig grove and on the edge of the pristine pool, discussing wildlife scenario in Orange County. 

Jamie, the arborist, who I met on the bluffs of Upper Newport Bay, was the next person. I had barely parked my bike, the man of slight-built and gentle demeanor standing beside me pointed to a  bird perched on a rock just below the bluffs. He informed that it's a black-crowned night heron, a rare bird. As I finished taking photo-shots of the bird, he told about the twice-a-day tide in the estuary and suggested me to witness it. Then he surprised me by correctly guessing my Indian nativity. Amused, I asked how did he get the clue. He answered that is was the bindi in between my eyebrows. When I told that I have a PhD in Biotechnology, he  showered me with appreciation and blessings. I don't know what came over him, he started narrating his family issues. As I prepared to come back, he almost folded his hands and spoke a 'Thank you'. I asked the reason. He answered, "for the company and conversation".

I don't even know his name or expect to see him again. I was taking photograph of a sleeping cat on someone's patio. The voice coming from a parked car by the sidewalk startled me. A tall man with a pony tail emerged from the car and informed me that the feline is his neighbor's. I was about to leave, he requested for a copy of the cat picture. I agreed and asked for his mail ID. He jotted down it on a scrap of paper and fished out a pretty wooden bead necklace from the car. He handed me both the things and told that the latter was a souvenir from Africa, picked during the recent visit. Before I could utter any words, he drove away. 

We had barely reached to the small sleepy town Aspendell in the high Sierra, it started snowing...
We knew we can not go further, so decided to pause a little and savor the first snow of the year...
It was pretty blustery weather....We parked in front of this beautiful house...
This kind lady, who lives in this out came out and offered to take our pictures (she knew our intention)...
People don't really like intrusion in their privacy...and here is someone who bothered to voluntarily venture out and extend kindness...

Cheers to kindness, compassion and all other facets of humanity....
We need these virtues more than ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!