Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bird: Woodpecker, its pantry, and its nests......

It was mid autumn, when I laid my eyes on the the woodpecker pecking at the bark of the sweetgum, in front of our apartment. Then I saw a couple of more of them immersed in carpentry on the coral and sycamore trees in and around Costa Mesa. It thrilled me every time I happened to spot one lost in hitting at the bark. Fall blurred into winter and then spring arrived. On my last visit to Tewinkle Park, I discovered this perfect-round s hole on the coral tree standing by the pool. The monument built by certain woodpecker...


The perfect round nest holes...........

Today was a great day for woodpecker watching. 
I got lucky enough to see as many as 3-4 woodpeckers. What made the birding extra fun was sighting the birds near their nest holes.  
It was exciting  to watch a woodpecker landing near its nest with insects dangling from beaks. The bird entered the hole and after minutes flied away. I guess its raising its fledglings, that why all the hurry!



At work in Irvine regional park...

A tree made into an acorn-stuffed pantry by hardworking woodpeckers...... 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!