Sunday, February 5, 2012

Plant: Golden chalice or Cup-of-gold-vine flower.........

I saw this big, yellowish beige bloom on a creeper entwining the fence of a lovely seafront house in Newport Beach. For a long time, I was ignorant of this unusual flower's identity. But my curiosity and wide reading paid off and I was enlightened of its profile. It turned out to be the cup of gold vine flower (Solandra maxima). Yesterday, I saw another flower-laden vine gracing a house in Corona del Mar. I guess, this vine thrives well in California beach climate...

Since then, I have seen it in couple of other places...Old Town San Diego, San Diego State University and many more.........
The pretty buds........


The waxy, buttery tender petals ready to open....... 


The cup-like interior....and the anthers........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!