Saturday, February 11, 2012

Plant: Natal plum harvesting.............

Natal plums or Carissa macrocarpa. The crimson fruits, peeping from the hedge plants attracted my attention. I picked a few just for fun.  Little did i know, these brilliant colored fruits are edible. Unlike other fruits of Apocyanaceae family, this one is safe to eat, of course when fully ripe.


I learnt that the latex, secreting from the pulp are undesirable, so I often washed it, before enjoying them. The fruits tasted okay, though I won't rate it delicious.The sweet-tart taste is fine with me but the characteristic aroma repels me. However, this shrub motivated me to compile a review paper on it, which I have just communicated to a journal. It was nice discovering this possible food plant. One species of this genus, Carissa carandas is even used for making palatable pickle in India.

Fruits look like baubles on a Christmas tree...........

Seen them grown as street-side plants in Orange and San Diego county.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!