Friday, February 10, 2012

Thought: Don't let animals suffer due to human impact.......

It was a pathetic scene of a brown pelican getting entangled in a fishing line. Seated on the rock piles of the jetty in Corona del Mar, we were scanning the Pacific Ocean dotted with an assortment of vessels manned by water-sport lovers enjoying their weekend cruising, pedaling, rowing, floating, fishing, whale watching and indulging in every other possible fun. I was busy photographing the pelicans sharing the jetty from various angles and zooms.  Surya was watching the distant objects with his binoculars. He narrated the ordeal of the pelican and handed over the binoculars, for me to watch. The fishermen startled at the undesired happening, struggled to untangle the hapless bird from the fishing line. After about 15 minutes of wrestling, the pelican yielded and was freed. Must be a lesson for both party.....

The other day, this pathetic picture of the fox squirrel munching on the discarded polythene bag in Tewinkle Park caught my attention. I was alarmed and decided to help the poor animal, who seemed to have gagged himself with the plastic. As I approached the animal, it climbed up the tree and struggled with the dangerous thing choked in his mouth. Though it was beyond my capacity to remove the abominable stuff from its mouth, I tried to coax the poor critter to come down, but in vain. After about good 20 minutes tug-of-war with the stringy stuff, the animal managed to pull it out. I heaved a sigh of relief. The eucalyptus tree, the squirrel took shelter was close to the barbecue area. I guess, some reckless picnickers have thrown the empty food bags, which this gullible critter thought to be eatable and almost suffocated to death. I appeal people to spare a thought for the safety of the adorable creatures sharing the planet with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!