Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fauna: California butterflies......

Of  late I have developed a  interest in Lepidopterology, the study of butterflies. Since my arrival in California I have spotted only few species of these colorful arthropods and managed to click only a very few out them, what with their elusiveness. 

1. Monarch butterfly.....
I consider this snap of a Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) a rewarding one. As I saw this renowned butterfly perched atop a leafless twig of sweetgum tree in my favorite Tewinkle Park, busy siphoning the nectar, I tiptoed up to the root and clicked this picture. In coming days, I hope to see a few more species....




2. Swallowtail butterfly...
I was poring over a book in the living room and from the corner of my eye saw a yellow flying entity. I came out to the porch to verify whether what I saw was real or an illusion. After a moment, I was rewarded with the spectacle of a big pale yellow butterfly with black stripes on the wings. I attempted to focus the camera at it, but it was too fleeting to allow me a snap. Since the first glimpse, I have feasted eye on this pretty butterfly a myriad times, but as always efforts were futile to capture in my lens. Only yesterday, I succeeded in clicking pictures of this elusive Lepidopteran till satisfaction. I was strolling on the lush lawn of Tewinkle Park and watching the ducks, while the butterfly landed on the grass, allowing this adamant shutterbug a slew of  portraits. Got to know, this species goes by the name of tiger swallowtail butterfly (Papilio glaucas) and commonly found in the Eastern part of the USA. I consider it a privilege to catch sight of it in California! 

Just touched down...


Folded wings............

Close up shot........

3. Mourning cloak butterfly........ 
A mourning cloak butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa) immersed in sucking nectar from a holly plant....

4. Boisduval's blue...
Spotted in San Diego...a tiny one...

5. Gulf Fritillary...

More to add...........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!