Monday, January 2, 2012

Fauna: California ground squirrel.....

A California ground squirrel (Otospermophilus beecheyi) on the lawn adjacent to its burrow in Tewinkle Park. It was  comparatively a quiet day with less activity going on in the park. Taking advantage of the absence of naughty kids to chase them, many of these mottled furred critters  were out from their excavations and were basking in the sun. From the craggy rocks above the lawn, I had a good time watching the assembly of these shy burrowers.

This guy was enjoying the warmth of winter sun, just outside its burrow.

A passel of ground squirrels basking in sun, near their burrows. I had never seen an assembly of as many as seven squirrels. It was exciting to watch them roam around the lawn, searching for food.

Yesterday, I clicked the picture of this incredibly cute and smart ground squirrel in Tewinkle Park. I always thought these species to be shy and people-phobic. However, this chap squatted on a flat rock barely two feet away from me. Despite being dangerously close to a human, it was cool, looked least threatened. Moreover, the barrage of flash and camera shutter sound cold not scare it. I had never seen a ground squirrel from so close and for so long. I definitely owed something to this critter for entertaining me and giving me company, perhaps some food, but I was bare-handed. Next time, I must carry some biscuits or crackers for this furry friend of mine...

We were navigating our way along the  thicket-infested bluff, while my gaze was drawn towards this amazing spectacle...this guy was perched atop a shrub and intently looking at something....


Some obese once at the bluffs of a  view point at San Clemente....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!