Saturday, January 28, 2012

Place: Birds of Upper Newport Bay.........

Upper Newport Bay is a haven for birds.........
We were delighted to spot this ruby-throated hummingbird perched atop a wildflower twig in the marsh of the bay. Orange county is populated with a good number of these tiny birds, so watching one was no big deal, but getting to see it from so close and for so long (it sat there for about 2 hours), made it a memorable birding experience...scanning the iridescent, velvety plumage was splendid. The crimson throat glistened by the January afternoon sun was absolutely resplendent. The high pitch sound emitted by the bird made the whole thing all the more fun.

Since then I have seen this Anna's hummingbird swinging on this slender twig on several times...guarding the territory.........

Today, I spotted this pelican in Upper Newport bay. This estuary created by an inlet of Pacific Ocean is rich in snails and  bugs; reason enough for the myriad varieties of bird arriving at the marsh. I had never seen a pelican from so close, so the finding was a joyous moment for me. The bird was real big with an impressive beak with a pouch. Before I could take better pictures, it flapped its broad wings and was away from the sight..

As I had anticipated, most of the migratory birds had flown away to their breeding ground. Upper Newport Bay barely  two weeks past teeming with a bewildering array of shorebirds, now sported a deserted look. Barring the couple of American coots, a pair of mallard and a western grebe, no other birds were in sight. I was disappointed that  the annual spectacular view of the thousands of gulls, American avocets, Northern shovelers, pelicans and dowtchers can be enjoyed in next winter only. As I treaded on the rocks under the bridge, I spotted a wader, most likely a willet. It was busy probing the mussel encrusted rocks.....


American avocet (Recurvirostra americana) is a wading shorebird, foraging on the shallow water of beaches and marshes. I glimpsed this long-legged bird  in a late autumn afternoon in the bay. The white, black and grey plumage was in camouflage with the nutrient-rich estuary water. The long upturned bill is noteworthy, apt for picking insects from the tidal water.

Two American avocets engrossed in foraging in the  swamps ...look at the reflection of the wader in the mud. Thanks God, these birds decided to spend their winter here, instead of flying to other sun belts.

A Pacific golden plover (Pluvialis fulva). I spotted this non-breeding wader camouflaging on a rock ....it's migratory/ non breeding status was revealed to me by its strikingly different plumage from the summer/breeding plumage. These birds generally breed in Siberian Tundra and Alaska, spending the non-breeding time in Asia or Australia. Only a few migrate to Californian estuaries for the winter and i I am very happy to discover this bird in my nearest bay in South California.

A male Northern Cardinal, perched on the fence, facing its rear towards me. It was my first ever glimpse of this vividly brilliant red feathered bird. I kept chasing it and it eluded me, never giving the scope to click a good picture. I had to be satisfied with this one. I hope, on  my next visit to the  swamp area, I will be able to snap some better ones.

A black-crowned night heron perched on a rock in the bay. It was high tide in the estuary, as evident from the water lapping against the rocks. I could not have identified this rare bird, had not Jamie, a gentle arborist, watching the tide not informed me.

Two gulls perched on a rock in the bay...sun is about to sink and the seabirds are all set to retire for the day after the day-long molluscs gorging spree.
.
Yesterday, I landed in the marsh and spotted this snowy egret....this guy was hanging around all alone...wading on the spirulina-infested swamp and relaxing by the reed bed....Unperturbed by my presence it lingered there, providing me with opportunity galore to take pictures till satisfaction....



A Western grebe enjoys a solitary swimming in the estuarine water ....

It was fun to watch the guy dive and bob up and down in the waves...


A flock of dowitchers (Limnodromus scolopaceus), the migratory shorebirds, are resting on the edge of the bay, after foraging for hours. I often spot these medium-sized waders from sandpiper family probing the mud bed of the salt marsh, for insects and molluscs. It seems the flock has a mixed population of short-billed as well as long-billed birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor

Free counters!